Thursday, December 17, 2009

Some Old School Movies

So Here is a list of some old school movies that I just LOVE.

Seriously, they don't make them like they used to, so if you get a chance, netflix, rent, download, but check them out. Most of these should be appreciated by everyone, romance, suspense, and great story lines.  Just watch them, I PROMISE you, you won't be disappointed!


1. All About Eve (1950)
Why I love it?
     "Aspiring actress Eve Harrington maneuvers her way into the lives of Broadway star Margo Channing, playwright Lloyd Richards and director Bill Sampson. This classic story of ambition and betrayal has become part of American folklore."  -IMDB
     What is there NOT to love about this movie.  Bette Davis' performance as Margo Channing is spot on, with her famous perfectly written lines, you just can't help but love this jealous, uppity character for all her faults.  It's just an intriguing movie of how manipulative people can be.

2. The Bad Seed (1956)
Why I love it?
      "For little Rhoda, murder is child's play." -IMDB
     Another movie where the acting is just so good it's scary, literally.  This movie gives me the chills every time I see it.  Be ready to be thoroughly creeped the fuck out!   What makes this movie so great is what they don't show, they leave just enough up to the imagination.  The piano scene is the most frightening disturbing scene I've ever watched.. ughhh.  Eileen Heckar deserves an oscar for her role as the mourning mother looking for answers, she is only in about 5 minutes of the movie but she always manages to make me cry..

3. The Diary of Anne Frank (1959)
Why I love it?
      You all know the harrowing story of the Frank's families attempt at escaping the Nazi regime.  Last year I visited the actual attic where they stayed, this film was the only one allowed to film on location..   I can't help but get sucked into the Anne Peter relationship, their encounter on the rooftop is one of the most romantic cinematic moments ever depicted on the silver screen. 

4. The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
Why I love it?
      "His life was a muddy morass into which he dragged all who knew him! Such was Dorian Gray, the man who wanted eternal youth, and bartered his soul to get it!" -IMDB
     The summer between my sophomore and junior year I could definitely be found sitting in the hallway totally engrossed by this novel.  The movie is a great depiction of the book.  Hurd Hatfield plays Dorian, and truth be told the remake looks like crap compared to the original.. although I might go to stare at Ben Barnes for two hours.. my god.

5. In the Good Old Summertime (1949)
Why I love it?
      "It's turn of the century America when Andrew and Veronica first meet - by crashing into each other.  They develop an instant and mutual dislike." -IMDB
     You may figure out that this is what You've Got Mail was based on, except wayyy better.  Judy Garland and Van Johnson hatred for each other really makes this movie.  Judy Garland shines as always, she has a voice no one can compare to.  The physical comedy is spot on thanks to Buster Keaton who actually has a speaking role as well.. I have a soft spot for movies where people who hate each other fall in love. 

6.  Mr. Smith goes to Washington (1939)
Why I love it?
     "A naive man is appointed to fill a vacancy in the US Senate. His plans promptly collide with political corruption, but he doesn't back down." -IMDB
    I vividly remember watching this movie in fifth grade.  Jimmy Stuart may possibly have been one of my first movie star crushes.  His conviction in this movie totally inspired me to never give up hope.  I'm sure my mom had to hear allll about it when I got home, I remember talking about it for like an hour at dinner.  I was a weird kid.. 

7.  East of Eden (1955)
Why I love it?
      "Of what a girl did . . . what a boy did ... of ecstasy and revenge!' - IMDB
      Another movie based on a book, but a great one.  This was one of the only three movies that James Dean starred in but it's easy to see why his star shown so brightly.  He is heart wrenching in this movie, just brilliant. 

8.  Vertigo (1958)
Why I love it?
     "John "Scottie" Ferguson is a retired San Francisco police detective who suffers from acrophobia and Madeleine is the lady who leads him to high places." -IMDB
      I had to include at least one Hitchcock film.  This being one of my favorite, a close tie with Strangers on a Train.. Another great performance by Jimmy Stewart.  This movie grabs you and doesn't let go.  Twists, turns, and suspense. 

9.  Gone with the Wind (1939)
Why I love it?
      "American classic in which a manipulative woman and a roguish man carry on a turbulent love affair in the American south during the Civil War and Reconstruction." -IMDB
     I remember my roommate my freshman year who could barely sit through an hour movie forced me to watch this one.  I think I watched it over a few days in between classes but it was so worth it.  It's a classic for sure but there's a reason.  It's simply amazing.  If anyone kissed me like Rhett Butler.. hooo boyyyy.

10. Meet Me in St. Louis (1944)
Why I love it?
     " A cast of favorites in the Charming . . . Romantic . . . Tuneful Love Story of the Early 1900s" -IMDB
     This one has a special place in my heart.  I watch it with my family around Christmas every year but it's great.  I love the little sister "Tootie" who says all of her dolls have various incurable illnesses and buries them in the backyard.  Plus there is a character named Rose :P  The love story between the next door neighbors is the cutest thing you'll ever see, wah wah wah.. I love it!


2 comments:

  1. do you think i should read the books before i watch the movies...the ones that are based on the book. because then i'll be disappointed if i watch the movie first then watch the movie.....like Public Enemies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm.. depends, I've only read a few of the books but also sometimes it's a let down if you read the book and the movie doesn't live up to it. The only one I'd say would ruin it is Dorian Gray.


    PS. Betti my life is not the same without you, come visit me!

    ReplyDelete