Sunday, September 5, 2010

You go, my baby, back home.

So I broke down and paid a whole 4 dollars to finally get a chance to plunge into "The Bell Jar" by Sylvia Plath.  I don't remember how I came across the title .. maybe I read a poem by her or something but it's been a book I've wanted for a while.  I was hoping to get it before I left for Spain so I could read it there but alas, half.com had other plans for me.. which is fine because I got to read "The Sun Also Rises" and "The Devil wears Prada" both wildly different books while I was abroad.  I've only read about a chapter so far but I could tell from the fist line that I am going to love this book.. "It was a queer, sultry, summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenbergs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York" 

Anyways!  When I finally got home and opened the thing I was happily surprised to find a newspaper cut out of some kind of poem pasted two pages in with a butterfly sticker.  It was in another language that was definitely not english, or german, or spanish, or french, or pretty much anything I could recognize.  So I got to work, thinking me being the google master I am I would immediately find it in English.  I spent probably 30 minutes trying to figure it out and all I got was that it was in Romanian.. so I translated it..


You go, my baby, back home

You go, my baby, back home, 
the wide world, thick world, 
but over roads n cross. 
Roman you are, or' you go! 

When his heart give n second, 
when over world rains, pours, 
when your bad or good, 
you should not forget you were Romanian. 

To go on the road honest and true 
to your storms in the chest, 
and you the ugly and deep, 
and not to forget that you are a Romanian. 

Earth is round and he n all find a goal. 
How many are going, how many remain?
You never forget that you are Romanian. 

Under waxes brass, 
you have the Tora lumeo mother, 
Danube and the Carpathians you, 
and the parents, brothers and nephews, 

And between all the sacred language! 
The trees to be very, 
you hills, you Cimpia, and you in the world, 
Romania! 

Running, flew you want to do, 
in the wide world, 
at yours, you young, wise, old 
and not to forget that you are a Romanian!

It's a little rough but interesting none-the-less.  Either way I'm wondering who put it in this particular book and why?  Was it sold over and over again, each person just leaving it in there without a passing glance?  Did the person who posted it and underlined things give it as a gift to somebody or was it a reminder for themselves?  Does it pertain to the novel?  Or is just a random place they stuck it until they could pull it out again to show somebody?  Lots of crazy unanswered questions.. :/ hmmmppphhh




No comments:

Post a Comment